Tuesday, March 07, 2006

well... it seems having an afternoon nap means i don't get tired all night afterward. which might be terrible, but it has meant that i have made a pretty blog, of which i might be proud. this will be mostly postings of what i'm writing for extension two english - the background is a photo of my actual logbook! how clever! :)

sleep well!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A masochistic mahogany cockroach charging at the wall and a lifeless brush in my right hand battle for concern. The insect’s disgusting thorax beats ecstatically against the ceiling now, possessed by some ill-fitted light – the dinge of creativity, the landlord laughs, every time I mention it. It’s not all so bad. I don’t mean the direction of my life is in darkness, or something. Though I suppose everyone’s is. I like to think of it like those spiky sticks that used to fall around my front garden when I was younger, the sticks that I would spend hours breaking and reassembling when devastatingly bored. There would be only two identical parts, but I could make them draw upward falsely forever through stacking and stacking. Then I would paint them orange and stick googly eyes on them or something. But that’s how I see myself living one stage to the next – stacking in mid air. And I with my grubby fingers was god.

I turn off the light and imagine the cockroach drop from the buzz of my light bulb and fall against the skirting board, scuttling into some forgotten stria, and clacking. I close my eyes for the warmer kind of darkness – the darkness of circling mystery, before again opening my eyes to a clacking threat and instinctively switching the light back on. So, it seems the cockroach wins the battle for my concern. I eventually get bored of caring that I might never find inspiration again, and fall asleep.

* * *

A dragon. An exhilarating ride through something cavernous and ancient, until this thing that I ride breaks through the surface and follows instead the caverns of a prehistory, seeming to see the rock that existed high up here before the wind and rain rendered it sky. I don’t know where I am, but I propel the beast forward into this confusing blue. Finally we stop, and if I look down I can see a trails of where we’ve been, translucently spiralling just over a small town and a vast warm red.

* * *

Awake… my eyes leap open and almost fall out. I blink widely.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

more to come... *withdraws ominously*

No comments: